Create meaningful structural changes that positively impact students' math identity.
We believe that culturally responsive coaching will lead to culturally responsive instruction in math. In our Math Identity Leadership Accelerator™ (MILA), leaders will build an understanding of what it means to apply culturally responsive math practices and build their capacity to use school structures to promote grade-level, engaging, affirming, and meaningful math instruction.
We also believe when you implement structural improvements in math, teachers’ awareness and understanding of how to cultivate students’ mathematical thinking increases and thus create more culturally responsive math classrooms. As a result, students develop a more positive math identity and a sense of belonging that supports improved math proficiency.
Who Should Participate?
MILA is perfect for educators who coach and support middle-grades math teachers (e.g., principals, assistant principals, math coaches).
What to Expect from the Program
- Foundational learning centered on how systemic racism impedes the offering of equitable math instruction
- Enhanced practices of coaching through observations and feedback tied to equitable practices
- A focus on structures and practices for professional learning communities (PLC) to promote collaboration among math teachers as a means of improving math instruction
- Attention to discourse practices that support more effective professional learning communities
- Practices to increase mathematical discourse among students in classrooms
- Creation of a MILA implementation plan where leaders and school teams document structural change efforts as they attempt to provide more culturally responsive math instruction