• Demonstrate understanding of the following units of time and their relationship to one another: day, week, month, year
• Name the four seasons in cyclical order, as experienced in the United States, and correctly name a few characteristics of each season
• Characterize winter as generally the coldest season, summer as generally the warmest season, and spring and autumn as transitional seasons
• Draw pictures that show an understanding of each season
• Characterize the North and South Poles as always cold in temperature, the middle section of the earth as usually warm, and most of the United States as having four seasons
• Describe daily weather conditions of their own locality in terms of temperature (hot, warm, cool, cold), cloud cover (sunny, cloudy), and precipitation (rain, snow, sleet)
The Read-Aloud Anthology contains background information and resources that the teacher will need to implement the Domain, including an alignment chart for the domain to the Common Core State Standards; an introduction to the domain including necessary background information used in teaching, a list of domain components, a core vocabulary list for the domain, and planning aids and resources.
The Flip Book contains three sections:
1. The Tell It Again! Flip Book, which contains images that accompany the Read-Aloud Anthology, presented in sequential order;
2. The Tell It Again! Posters, which may be cut out and displayed on the classroom wall for the duration of the domain; and
3. The Tell It Again! Multiple Meaning Word Posters, which likewise may be cut out and displayed on the classroom wall for the duration of the domain.
The Image Cards contain of a set of 12 images on cards, used for extension activities in Listening & Learning strand lessons.
This Supplemental Guide is designed as a companion to the Read-Aloud Anthology for the domain. The Supplemental Guide is intended to be used by general education teachers, reading specialists, English as a Second Language (ESL), and special education teachers, as well as teachers seeking an additional resource for classroom activities.
There may be cases when our downloadable resources contain hyperlinks to other websites. These hyperlinks lead to websites published or operated by third parties. UnboundEd and EngageNY are not responsible for the content, availability, or privacy policies of these websites.
There are no tags for this resource
From EngageNY.org of the New York State Education Department. Kindergarten ELA Domain 8: Seasons and Weather.
Available from engageny.org/resource/kindergarten-ela-domain-8-seasons-and-weather; accessed 2015-05-29.
This work is based on an original work of the Core Knowledge® Foundation made available through licensing under a Creative Commons AttributionNonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. This does not in any way imply that the Core Knowledge Foundation endorses this work.